Monday, September 01, 2014

Laser Beams

In June my eyes decided to stop welcoming contacts.  After wearing them daily for 15 years it was as though my body decided it had had enough.  I tried prescription meds,  stopped wearing them regularly, but every time I put them in, redness and pain ensued: a frustration for a TV reporter forced for the first time in my career to regularly wear glasses on air.   So that coupled with the fact that optometrists have told me for years, 'Your eyes aren't getting enough oxygen, veins are growing further and further over your eyes, this will eventually be an issue" led me to the decision to go underneath the laser and have PRK eye surgery about 12 days ago now.

For the last two months, I researched.  My first doctor visit was a bummer.  The laser center telling me I wasn't a candidate.  Would never be one.  Not for Lasik or the less invasive, PRK because my corneas are 'abnormally thin.'   Second doctor said yes to Lasik.  Third and fourth told me PRK, wiping away a thin layer of cornea rather than creating a flap of skin, was my only option.  And so based on their recommendations (2/4 doctors agree!) I opted for PRK.  

As far as pricing.  There was quite a range.  One clinic offered it at $2800 for both eyes.  But that didn't include enhancements or touchups if my eyes change down the road.  Another clinic quoted me at $4400, which included future surgeries if needed.  A third, LasikPlus, put me at $3500, partially because my insurance company had a partnership with them.  Future surgery included in that price, they have locations across the country I can go to.  It won my business.
Waiting for my ride to LasicPlus
The day of the surgery I took an Uber car to the doctor.  Like when I skydived ten years ago now, I tried not to think too much about what was about to happen.  The clinics are pretty cavalier about it because so many people come in and out of their offices.  In fact, if you go in for a consultation, they'll offer to do the surgery that week.   Its as though they prey on your excitement, want to convince you do to the surgery before you have second thoughts.

At most of the chain clinics, like LasikPlus, doctors actually travel to different locations throughout the week.  Louisville one day, Indianapolis the next.  It means on days doctors are doing laser surgery, lots of people are lined up to get it.   So when I went in, I was by no means alone.   The waiting run was full of people being run through the process: Watch this video.  Sign these papers.  Take this Valium.  Finally actually meet the ophthalmologist operating on you (I researched Dr. Greenberg ahead of time).  And then go directly under the laser.  It's a pretty fast-moving process.  The entire time you are witnessing other people under the laser as the operating room is surrounded by clear walls and they have a television screen facing the waiting room that shows an extreme close-up of the actual eye they are operating on at the time.
The video you're asked to watch right before the surgery.
Answering all my top questions to the tune of "I can see clearly now,"
Here we go.  Taking valium about 20 minutes before PRK.
The actual PRK procedure was painless.  They had numbed my eyes.  All I had to do was lie on my back and stare straight ahead as Dr. Greenberg, who one at a time had wedged open each eye with some device, basically doused my eyeballs with liquid, wiped at them, and then fired off the laser before placing a temporary clear contact lens over my eye. The actual laser part took seconds.  As warned, it was accompanied by the smell of burning skin.  Again, no pain.  That said, you can't help but think the entire time, 'Man you are really poking at my eye. This is definitely going to hurt later."

I was right.  Spencer was there to drive me home right after the procedure.  He hadn't driven me because the surgery fell right in the middle of his work-day and they tell you to set aside a couple hours for it.  By the time we got home, so about 30 minutes later, I was feeling the burn.  I went right to sleep.  And remained asleep, waking sporadically to eat and take meds, for the next three days.

In fact, the only time I left the home over the next five days was for my 24 hour check-up back at LasikPlus.  Spencer drove me as I sat in the passenger seat, wearing my clothes from the day before, sleep mask on, shielding me from any sunlight.  At the clinic all the folks who I saw the day before were awaiting their check-up.  Those who had received Lasik, rather than PRK, had driven themselves in.  Were seemingly fine.  I envied them so much as I sat wiping away the ongoing tears my eyes kept creating.

Swollen and squinting the day after PRK.
Awaiting my 24 check-up.  Miserable.
So the next few days:  Pain, Vicodin, endless eye drops, sleeping, sleeping, and sleeping.  Seriously, I slept day in and day out.  Spencer bought ice cream.  It gave me motivation to get up every now and then.  He pre-made some PB & J's for me so I could easily eat (necessary before taking Vicodin) while he was at work.  Egg sandwiches were another speciality I learned to expect from him each morning.
Spencer's pre-made PB&J for me.
I was miserable and it wasn't so much because my eyes hurt but because I was so extremely sensitive to light.  Any light.  Our home was dark for days. 
The animals loved my immobility./Eating in an eyemask./Day four.
Harriette modeling the eyemask you're asked to wear for several days following the procedure.

The morning of day five I had a turnaround.  I woke up in minor pain as usual but within a couple hours was actually able to walk around the house, turn the lights on, do some chores.  It was a big break-through.  Granted, my vision was still very blurry.  I couldn't watch TV, read, or sit at my computer, but the fact that I could actually prepare my own food and stay awake for longer than 10 minutes was a hug step.

Day 6 was even better.  Vision improved.  I went back to LasicPlus, had the recovery contacts over my eyes removed, was told my vision with both eyes was at 20/40 which is completely normal for several weeks after the surgery.  Also, I cleaned out the medicine cabinet.
So long, saline.  The glasses, contacts, cases, and solution I no longer need.
Day 7 had me back at work.  I couldn't wear eye makeup quite yet as they don't want you rubbing your eyes for a full week following the procedure.  So I looked a little bare as noted below, but no biggie.

Which brings me to today---12 days later and I'm still squinting a bit.  I'm told it will be this way for a few weeks as my eyes continue to heal.  I put eyedrops, some of which are prescription, in about a dozen times a day and will need to for a couple weeks still.  So a few minor inconveniences, but overall I am so incredibly happy.   On a daily basis, I find myself thinking I need to take my contacts out before I go to bed only to squeal that no, I'm seeing clearly without them.  It's such a huge change as I've been tied down by specs since second grade.  I realize reading glasses will be need in ten years time or so, but for now I celebrate.  I can finally see on my own!

1 comment:

Allison said...

I'm glad you are healed up and envy your vision! Love the eating in an eye mask photo.