Thursday, January 01, 2015

A Very DIY Christmas

Haven't blogged in a while.  I blame wedding planning and Christmas.  That said, before the holiday gets away from us any further, I need to share the DIY madness which was our family Christmas this year.  First though, the family photos...

Kelly Family Christmas in Champaign, Dec. 28
Forman Family Christmas in Wood Dale, Dec. 25
Now to the craftiness of everyone I know and love (including myself). What's so great about it: everyone created something different.  

From top left to bottom right below:  
  • A jar of the handmade cashew butter Spencer's sister, Ashley, created.  Super delicious.  I've been eating it by the spoonful.   
  • One of the chalkboard signs Spencer and I created for family.  We bought the wood at a craft store, along with some chalkboard paint, chalk pens, and twine.  Suprisingly looks just like it did on Pinterest:)
  • A small purse I made for Allison.  I made a similar one for Ashley.  The most impressive piece to this, they're lined and I did both of them in one afternoon (albeit an afternoon of much swearing, but it didn't take nearly as long as I expected.)
  • One of my gifts from Spencer.  A dishtowel with Harriette's mug ironed on the front.  We've since learned this can not be used as a hot pad....the Christmas tree image on the other side of this is already pretty melted.


  • The stocking I made Spencer (he chose the cat fabric) so he'd have one that matches the hand-sewn stockings Allison made for our family years ago.
  • Amy's new business venture turned Christmas gift: Rosemary foaming soap and two flavors of chap stick (mint and mango), all of which I've been using daily.


  • Allison showing Amy two of the three shirts she designed for her with paint and contact paper, the blue design specifically made because it reminds her of a shirt our mom bought for Amy years ago.  
  • Spencer modeling the potholder and oven mitt Allison created for us.  Hand sewn.  Really nice quality. Adorable.  Looks great in our kitchen. 

  • The creative and thoughtful Christmas cards Spencer made with construction paper the morning of Christmas Eve. The first for his mother, who uses multiple emojis in every email; the second for his friend Randy who loves Dr. Who; and the third for me, his snowboarding fiance.   

  • And I'm really proud of this one: Spencer's first sewing project.  We forgot to actually take a photo of it, but here's a picture of his mom putting it to use.  It's a cloth bookmark (with interface) that has a piece of elastic sewn into it (and he reinforced it!) so you can wrap it around the book and securely keep your place.







No comments: