Sunday, September 25, 2005

No More Kenya

I’ll be in Cape Town tomorrow and yes, I’m very excited to both be in South Africa and get off this ship at last. Archbishop Desmond Tutu, or “The Tuts”, as everyone calls him, will be getting off the ship once we get to port, which is too bad because although I never really talked to him, I loved his presence and his loud laugh that could be heard across the dining room at meals. This past week I learned about apartheid, which beforehand I knew nothing about, and have really grown to appreciate who he is and what he has none for South Africa. I finally realize what a big deal it is that he has been on our ship for the last week.

In other news we are no longer going to Kenya!! Yeah…bummer. Apparently another safety warning has been placed on the country and tourists are urged to avoid the entire west coast of Africa. The U.S. Navy isn’t even docking in Kenya right now. I refuse to complain too much about the safari I won’t be going on anymore because regardless, I’m still traveling around the world and seeing more than I would ever see in Chicago. But yeah, still a disappointment. They haven’t announced what country we will be going to instead, but everyone is pretty excited to find out. For the last two days all the students have been gossiping about where we could possible port between South Africa and India, a lot of people are rooting for Madagascar, which I don’t even think is a possibility.

Oh yeah, and I got the role as an executive producer on the ship’s television station, SeaTV! Four of us (2 guys, 2 girls) were selected out of over forty applicants so I feel pretty honored. We had our first meeting with the rest of the people on board who want to be involved last night and it went really well. Afterwards I sat down the other execs and arranged interviews for producers for our news program, which will be tonight, and got notes out to all those interested in being anchors for the news program about auditions which are right after Cape Town. I can already tell that SeaTV is going to take up a lot of my time, especially in the evenings, but all the same I’m really excited about this opportunity and am crossing my fingers that it doesn’t overwhelm me.

So yeah…Cape Town tomorrow! Hope all is well.


P.S. I’ll email you back right after South Africa Mil!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big fat congrat, annie!! from amy and mim

Anonymous said...

Mom just brought up the fact that we'd never REALLY know if you didn't get the job, but just wanted us to applaud you. So, I'm assuming your an untalented hack until further proof (AND, mom adds, a liar). Yer word ain't enough, sister. WE DEMAND MORE PHOTOS.
Does this embarrass you, mom asks?
And, yes, also--congrats. Mwah.

Anonymous said...

Way kewl!!!!! Congrats to you!!!!

It's thrilling to hear that you've had the pleasure of the Bishop's company -- even if you didn't have dinner with him. I can't imagine the atmosphere of being around a peaceful revolutionary of such great bearing. You lucky girl.
Tell us, what classes did you take crossing the ocean? Which tour/ class/ safari/ natureplace/ adventure/ musicshow/ oceandive/ museum/ village/ mission/ mountain/ bikeride/ hike/ riverraft/ culturalthings do you have planned in Cape Town?
Sad to hear about Kenya 8-( Just not safe, huh? Maybe instead the ship can stop in one of those arabian ports along the way.
Miss you Annie.
Dad
p.s. more pics

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Seychelles? Maybe Mauritas? Maybe the Comoros?

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS ANNIE! Way to show those SAS kids how Columbia Kids do it! ART SCHOOLS RULE! However, this art school isn't the same without you! LOVE YOU AND HOPE YOU ARE HAVING FUN AND OF COURSE STUDYING HARD!
~Mill~