Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I’m excited to go home. Allison just told me that Walker is making stir-fry with peanut sauce for dinner. I get excited too easily. But I’m in love with peanut sauce and ever since I found out that the Vegans know how to make I’ve been bugging them to.

Okay, but get this…yesterday I got to walk around on top of a glacier. It rocked my world. I took a helicopter out of Skagway and it was about a fifteen-minute ride to the Grand Canyon Glacier. The ride was amazing. The second we lifted up above the ground I had a goofy smile on my face. We were flying over glacier after glacier and were so close that you could see their blue hue and the red snow that forms up on top because of algae (our tour guide explained it all). I never realized that glaciers look so much like blue foam, but that’s seriously what they resembled.

When we got to the glacier we got to walk around for about thirty minutes while a tour guide explained everything that we were seeing. We were standing in this canyon surrounded by glaciers and on top of that, there was this path of melting snow that started with what looked like a natural spring and it formed a stream of crystal blue water through the glacier we stood on. It was just too crazy for me to be walking around on snow in the middle of summer. I took way to many pictures, and because I was alone I was taking stupid ones of me with the ice in the background. This 65-year-old woman saw me taking pictures of myself and was intrigued to the point that she too wanted to try it so I taught her how to hold the camera properly and to try to avoid the “double chin syndrome”. I got a kick out of it.

But yeah, I got to do the whole glacier/helicopter thing for free. Working in Skagway, I sort of have a connection, well my coworker does, and it was all arranged for me the day of. Good deal.

I heard Sufjan Stevens on the radio here in Skagway today and was blown away. This radio station only covers three towns and a few thousand people at the most and yet they played a song off Sufjan’s new album.

Our cables out back at the trailer. Bummer.

Oh and yesterday I was hanging around the trailer and had propped the door open because I burned my lunch and this random dog just walks in. And it really creeped me out at first because I was home alone and I didn’t notice it right away and to look up and see this husky dog just staring at me was startling. It turned out to be a really nice dog and it started following me around the house, so of course I got out my camera and took pictures of it, it finally recognized that I wasn’t feeding it and walked out. But then I realized how adorable it was and that I wanted it to come back some time, so I called it back over and fed it a shitload of turkey. Good times. I get a kick out of the most random things.

K. Time for the bike ride home.

Hope all is well.

No comments: