Monday, July 04, 2005

So last night at our company 4th of July party there was a garbage can loaded with beer, Alaskan Amber to be exact and word was that they were going to be really strict about the under 21ers drinking, which sucks for me. The thing is though that everyone here in Skagway assumes that I’m at least 21. So to test out whether or not I could drink free beer I asked my boss if he had bought any diet soda, which I knew he hadn’t. When he told me no I shrugged it off saying “Eh, that’s okay, I’ll just have a beer.” He gave me no reaction meaning that yes, I could drink. And seven beers later I was feeling great.

It’s the 4th of July today but I’m not celebrating it at all. I did that last night with the whole company party and town fireworks. It was such a good night. I worked until 6:00 pm and as soon as I got off work the barbeque started. There was so much meat! I’ve been eating vegan so often and I was in heaven. As I said earlier, I got to drink openly with my boss and all my older coworkers too, which was really awesome for me as well.

After the barbeque a crew of us walked into town for the street dance which totally reminded me of the outdoor dances in downtown Galena. We all stood around watching the little kids dance away until this one song came on that mom used to sing to Al and I when we were little. In our drunkenness we went crazy dancing. Walker, Sheila (my roommate), and some of the other people I worked with joined us in our twirling around and flailing our bodies. I’m in too big of a hurry right now to give lots of details but the whole dance and boozing it up session we had with our coworkers was so much fun.

We headed to the docks for the fireworks eventually and propped ourselves up on the huge logs the board the shore to watch them. Fireworks are so much prettier when surrounded by glaciers. Ahhh so yeah. I had to bike home at the end of the night and Allison was drunk and ditched me. I refused to go fast because I was so drunk. Back at our trailer these two guys were just chilling at our picnic table, waiting for their ferry to leave at 4 am so I sat down to talk to them because the bathroom was in use and one was very very cute, ha and yes I did take a picture.

K I’m just rambling now.

But I do need to tell you about how Allison had to work at 5 am this morning and how she woke up and apparently was laying in bed and yelling, “I quit! I quit!” because she had gotten no sleep and had a 12 hour day ahead of her. Ahh I love my sis.

Things are good in Alaska. I work a lot. And barely talk to anyone from back home which sucks.

Ooo I saw my first family of otters yesterday morning when I was doing an dock sweep at 5:30 am! And right after that I saw a seal and it kept swimming closer and closer to the dock. My favorite animal around here though is Chutny, a ground squirrel that lives by the Railroad Dock. He’ll come up to you and hop on your lap just to get food from you….so adorable.

Allison is going to kill me, I told her I’d be right behind her when she left the office a half an hour ago. Have to go help make dinner.

I feel boring when I write these blogs because I leave out things that may or may not be offensive. Eh, fuck it.

K. It’s the 4th of July and I’m wearing long underwear a fleece and a windbreaker, doesn’t seem right. There’s so much I want to write about but I don’t have the time or the memory!

Peace out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what song did you dance to that your mom used to sing to you????? mim

Anonymous said...

somebody's gramma just read your blog and was moved so much that she offered to send somebody's mom so she could be with her girls and see what its like for herself.........