Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorable Memorial Day Weekend

My three day weekend, if an unemployed person indeed has weekends, was made up of drinking, families, and installing air conditioners. Well, actually just one air conditioner, but it was such a pain in the ass it counts for several.

Spencer loaded the eight-ton machine into my bedroom window last night. As he lugged it around, apparently the main control knob snapped off. And not in the we'll-just-use-a-screw-driver way. There was a bottomless hole where a previously broken knob had already been.

And so the troubleshooting. We poke and probbed. Undid screws. Searched the floor for the missing piece (which I'm certain I must have swept up shortly after it was dropped). Sat in front of the air conditioner, drinking High Lifes, wondering what the heck to do next. The solution: to glue a screw several inches back in the a/c where the knob originated...and to spend the night in Spencer's air conditioned apartment.


Turns out craft glue, a screw, and a night of drying worked.  This morning I turned the screw with some plyers, affectively turning on the a/c shortly before the glue gave out and the screw snapped out.  It will, of course, now be stuck on the same setting and turned on and off through plugging and unplugging it.  But I have my air conditioner back!

Spencer worked his butt off to make it happen, and the same night installed a new computer keyboard for me, which he ordered online himself.  And so, an adorable photo of him, hard at work, as Emma looks on lovingly.


Keeping up with Memorial Day fashion, I wore a dress for the first time of the season.  Wore a dress on two different occasions actually.  So many people were surprised to see me show leg, and complimented me, that I went out and bought a couple more summer skirts/dresses.  I was also inspired by the last minute plane ticket I bought to Vegas.  Going in two weeks and would like to leave the jeans at home.




Other revelations this weekend: 
  • Shuffle board is a blast.  Yes, I said blast.  Played some version of it at Nick's Beer Garden in Wicker Park.  Way easier than pool to pick up, and so, it gets a thumbs up.
  • Spencer was a hot 18-year-old.  When we visited his parents on Memorial Day I mentioned I hadn't seen any photos of him from his past.  His dad then dug up the ten-year-old photo files on the computer, initiating a walk down memory lane for Spencer and his parents.  We sat and looked at photos together for a while.
  • I can get through a night at a 'douchie' bar as long as there are music videos on the TVs.  Went to Mad River in Lincoln Park, a crowded, pop-collared kinda place, to celebrate the birthday of someone I don't know.  But had fun, thanks to the loud music, all of which accompanied a video that was airing on atleast 30 TVs throughout the bar.  I basically felt like I was hanging out with Rihanna, Drake, and Nicki Minaj.
Alright that's all.  Closing on a sequence of 'waking-up-zoe' photos...

No comments: