Thursday, May 10, 2012

Starting Small

This whole 'goal' thing has gotten me up off the couch and I like it.  I like it a lot.  So often I just associate goals with my career, and well, here I am, unemployed.  So giving myself some other goals between applying for jobs and waiting to hear back has made my Wednesday pretty awesome.

I completed a sewing project, if you can even call it that, making pillows out of some old sailboat napkins of my late grandparents.  (notice the cat lurking in the background) 

And I tried out a new recipe.  Carrot coconut soup.  It gave me an excuse to use my mom's crockpot finally.  Spencer loved it (the soup, that is).  As did I, although it didn't beat my sisters.

Oh, and for the record: I don't cook. I also don't sew, at least that well.  It's why these small accomplishments are so major to me, and also why so many of my '101 goals' are focused on cooking and crafts.  The kitchen is where I'll need the most help.  I just don't know a lot of the basics.  Like with this soup, it called for minced ginger.  Turns out I don't know what ginger root looks like, that you peel it, and that, when you do, the soft pink substance they serve at sushi restuarants doesn't appear.  A grocery story employee and my curiousity at home led to me figuring it out, but this cooking quest will be interesting.  Mom would be proud, and a big help on this journey.

No comments: