Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Goodbye Pink Rug

I've had the rug 8 years.  Bought it at IKEA with my mom to put in my dorm room at the University Center.  A new rug for a new year, a new dorm building (the first year the building opened) and a new job (I was a resident advisor).  It's just an object, but one with lots of memories.  There were singalongs with Millie and Dianne in the dorm room, they'd sit on the rug as I played guitar from my bed.  I remember lint rolling the entire surface whenever it needed cleaning throughout college because I didn't have a vacuum.  All those years and I never took a proper photo of the multi-pink-colored thing.  Probably because, as I said, it's just an object. 

An object, Zoe, my little piss monster, managed to ruin in the 10 months I've given her access to it.  Numerous 'mistakes' have destroyed the rug.  Cleaning it?  It's beyond that.  And so today, I didn't feel the least bit sentimental as I pulled it out from beneath the furniture, balled it up, and rushed out to the dumpster, carrying it away from my body so as to avoid any contact. 

 I actually think my office area looks better now.  Just hoping some poor dumpster diver doesn't dig it out thinking they've found a gem. 

There will be another rug in that dumpster soon enough.  Tonight, right before sitting down at the computer, I walked across the only rug left in my home (I don't even keep bathmats anymore) and felt a damp spot.  The piss monster strikes again.

1 comment:

Allison said...

This piss monster strikes again! And again and again and again...