Sunday, June 03, 2012

Reunited

I had a fallout with a  close friend four months ago.
Correction.  I thought I had a fallout with a friend.  In our last email correspondence he apologized for being a bad friend and taking so long to reach out to me after a breakup. I told him 'Hey, no biggie, although you do sometimes suck as a friend.'
And we hadn't talked since.  Until last night.  The one friend I regularly saw, talk to about my family, my mom, and my dating life, and really felt close to, just disappeared.

I was sure he'd ridden me off, that he'd decided if he's such a 'bad friend' maybe we shouldn't be friends at all.  And apparently, he was sure I had ridden him off. Decided he was a bad friend not worth my time.  See, I lost my job shortly after that email, and he'd been texting my work phone.  He says he text me several times and gave up after he didn't hear back from me.
And so last night when we saw each other at a party, hugged, and sorted it out, I started crying.  In fairness, the alcohol may have added to it too. 

As I cried, and we both laughed, about the misunderstanding, Spencer pointed out how funny it was that neither of us just picked up the phone and called one another.  He's right.

I lost one of my best friends for four months because of a miscommunication.  Funny how that works.  Sad, really.  But we're reunited now, and (cringe, cliche) it feels so good.

No comments: