Monday, June 25, 2012

So Much Family Time

Six months after graduating from college I moved to North Dakota.  12 hours from Illinois.  A drive too long for a weekend trip, a plane ride too expensive to do regularly.  I had effectively, although unintentially, separated myself from my family.  I won't lie, it was nice.  Every weekend was mine.  I found other families to cling onto in the Praire State, grew deeper friendships than I ever had or have since, and when I did see my siblings, my parents, my aunts and uncles I found I was greeted with more warmth than ever before. 

Now two and a half years since leaving North Dakota, my family is a bigger part of my life than ever.  My mom is gone and Amy, trapped with her disability and in a less-than-ideal home, needs interaction.  Me?  I have always had middle child syndrome.  I'm used to being the distant sibling, the one to reach out to friends rather than family.  It's all changing now.  In the last year I've adjust to seeing family atleast every month, more recently to seeing my younger sister atleast biweekly.  My older sister, always my friend, is now my best friend. I miss those North Dakota days of planning around only myself, but yet as I look for my next job, I'm hoping to keep this closeness going, and to try to fight my middle child ways of drifting away.  And so, fingers crossed as I interview tomorrow, for a job that will let me stay somewhat close to the ones I love.

Another Family Gathering: Pool Party at a Hotel for Amy's 25th Bday This Past Weekend


No comments: