Sunday, June 10, 2012

Nudity, Vacuums, and Beer

Maybe it's because I'm unemployed and I spend the week thinking about what I want to do when other people are finally off work although I like to think it's because Spencer and I generate fun when we're together; either way, this weekend, another one spend hopping around from a garage sales to a brew tour.  We made it to Rib Fest, made it out to the burbs to have lunch with my sister and dad, and saw a lot of naked people. 

The nudity started Saturday morning at breakfast.  Eating bagels at our favorite corner shop and lounging on their couches, Spencer said suddenly, "I've gotta go."  He repeated himself several times as his eyes bulged and darted to something five feet away I needed to look at.  I did.  Balls.  Hanging out of an older mans shorts as he sat reclined and cross-legged.  We left, and later by choice, almost as a bookend to the day, opted to see hundreds of man-berries as we watched the city's naked bike ride make its way through Boys Town.  So much skin.  Such a bottlenecked bike ride.  Most of the naked riders were standing next to their bikes, as they were slowed down, and significantly stalled by the huge crowds that had gathered outside to see the spectacle.  Some bicyclists were obviously not thrilled. Here they thought they'd be streaking through the city with speed, but no, instead they're walking slowly through crowds who cheered for the first couple hundred people and are now just staring quietly at them.

Perhaps the most exciting part of the weekend for me: achieving my goal of 'acquiring a new vacuum.'  Ten dollars at a yard sale.  And I swear, it's like new.  They either never used it or totally cleaned it out before selling it, and not only does it work fifty times better than my old vacuum, it has a brush to clean cat hair off furniture!  After buying it, Spencer carried it a block and half to the car as I danced around in excitement.

 


We also did a tour of the Half Acre Brewery on North Lincoln Ave.  If you're not from the area, the company is newer, small, only distributes around Chicago and a few suburbs, and, in my opinion, puts way too much hops in their beer. 

They give one tour a week, to 60 people; first come, first serve.  So we waited outside in the hot sun about an hour to get a spot, but were rewarded with three beers, a pint class, and an honest, laid back tour for the same cheap price as my vacuum.  Ten dollars.

Oh I love beer.  After my trip to Vegas next weekend, however, I'm taking a break from alcohol.  I'm at my heaviest weight ever (by a few pounds, but still) and need to start taking care of myself again.  And so, hopefully, once High Life's are out of my life, the same will go for a few pounds.

No comments: