Thursday, June 21, 2012

Easy Peasy Skirt Tutorial


Back from Vegas where my favorite slot machine reminded me of Zoe. I drank way too many pina coladas.  And I learned a skirt I recently refashioned can also double as a top.

I took apart a skirt I bought at thrift store a couple weeks ago, shortened it up, and added a black elastic waistband.  The entire project took an hour at the most.  I can barely sew, so if I can do it, anyone can.  I didn't directly follow any tutorial, as I couldn't find any that seemed like they'd give me the resulting skirt I wanted.  That said, I figured I'd share this easy sewing project, if you can even call it that.

Aside from basic sewing materials (scissors, thread, sewing machine) you'll need some black elastic 2-2 1/2 inches wide and an old skirt or dress.  If it's a longer skirt it doesn't necessarily have to fit you as the width grows as you cut a couple inches off the original waistband.

Step 1: Measure your waist, where you want the skirt to hit when wearing it.  Add two-three inches.  Cut the elastic accordingly and using machine sew together.  I did several lines of stiches to make sure it really holds.
  
Step 2:  Chop up your old skirt!  I didn't do any measurements beforehand, and just laid into it with my scissors.  But a smarter sewer would put the skirt on, figure out how much shorter they want it and cut accordingly.  The skirt I used had pockets that I ended up cutting through, so I had to cut those out too.
Step 3:  You're going to pin the skirt and elastic band together in four places. Turn the skirt inside out before hand, and be aware, as you pin the waistband should be underneath the fabric.  My skirt has a back seam so I matched it up with the seam of the elastic waistband and pinned. (see picture)  Also pin the side seams of the skirt and a front center point of the skirt to the waistband.  You may have to repin several times to get an even amount of fabric.  I found hanging the skirt (above) gave me a better idea of how equally I had dispersed the fabric.

Step 4:  Almost time to sew.  First a little more pinning.  Keeping the pins from before in place, and looking at the front of the skirt, pin two pleats to the right of the center pin and two pleats to the left of it.  They should be symmetrical and with the folds facing inward (see above picture). Flip the skirt over and do the exact same thing on the back. (Again I used no measurements here, just pinned until everything looked even)

Step 5:  With the skirt still inside out, sew it all together, removing the pins as you go.  I'm paranoid of clothing I make falling apart so I did two rows of stitches.  Press afterwards.  And wallah!  An easy peasy, and cute, skirt!

2 comments:

Allison said...

Go, Annie, go!

Anything you'd d different if you did it again?

_AnnieAnne_ said...

Yes! I just wrapped the elastic around my waist and cut, didn't add a couple inches, and wishing I had.