Monday, August 01, 2005

Had a good weekend. I got to see a woman’s logging show, pigs racing, and I climbed a mountain. And on top of it all, it’s 1:30 and I’m already off work for the day, a rarity.

Haines was a good time. We ate a lot of food and walked the length of the town many times. And thanks to mom, we had a travel Scrabble board with us and got through a couple games. The first night in Haines we spent the night in a trailer owned our coworkers family but I was miserable because I was over tired and didn’t feel like I was on vacation because I was a guest on someone’s property and we had to invite him everywhere we went in turn and it just didn’t seem relaxing to me at all for some reason. It wasn’t the best night I’ve had. So on night two we headed to a campground with was further in town and all was well at last.

When we got back on Saturday we only had to work four hours, which was awesome. Then that night Allison, Walker, and I headed to the “Mustache Bash” which was the party held out at the Gold Dredge. Nearly every guy there had grown a mustache for the party and most of them looked pretty ridiculous. There were even girls with mustaches. And both the two boys that were my crushes for the week were there…and I have a date tonight with one of them. Although I’ve been thinking about this and I have no idea what we’re going to do, there’s nowhere for us to even hang out since we both live with so many people…so yeah.

Allison, Walker, and I hiked AB Mountain, or hell as I call it, yesterday. Mom you would have been proud of me…for the last quarter of the hike to the top I was on using my hands with every step, reaching in the mud and grabbing roots or whatever I could find to pull myself up. It was tough. The first two hours of the hike weren’t too bad but the mountain makes this drastic cut upwards at one point and from there on it’s pretty vertical. It was frustrating. The hiking path was barely visible at some points and you could see footprints from people we had slipped in the mud throughout the upwards trek. At a lot of points I had to pause and figure out how I was going to maneuver myself up, looking for anything to grab at and anywhere to place my feet. And I couldn’t help but think about the way down. I fell quite a bit on the way down, but once I had completely muddied my butt I didn’t care anymore and I started getting down on my butt to make it down some of the steep rocky areas. Allison and Walker are much better hikers than I am, so I went first for most of the hike, so as to keep them from getting ahead of me. Man, they were patient with me. We hiked for six hours and my body is still feeling it. I really am glad that I stuck with the hike and didn’t turn around, but at the time it was really rough for me. The view up top though was beautiful, it looked down on the town of Skagway and we were so high we had really good views of some of the neighboring glaciers. And we saw a porcupine on the hike, which was a highlight for me.

Millie is back from Norway and I plan to call her tonight. Heck yes.

But yeah…good weekend for sure.

No comments: