Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I’m on the ship, I’m on the ship, I’m on the ship!!

Okay, so I almost starting crying when I got into my room (room 2010) this morning. I just can’t believe I’m here. I’ve had a lot of moments like that lately.

I don’t even know where to start. I was smiling so hard today that I felt like an idiot. I was one of the first six people to board the ship this morning, mainly because me and my roommates at the hotel were the only ones who got up as early as 6:00 am. My luggage was impossible to carry too and since we were at the ship so early there was no one to help us yet. It was a scene…the group of us hauling along, dripping sweat, stopping to take breaks, yet so happy because we were finally boarding the ship. Oh and my room is totally in the basement, but I do have a window and there is so much storage space that it’s ridiculous.

So yeah I’ve been in the Bahamas for the last two days. How crazy is that?! I flew into the Bahamas with Carrie, this girl who is from the burbs of Chicago, and we have been hanging out the entire time. She’s very cool, which was a relief since I spent my Bahamas experience with her. We got to our shotty hotel and instantly we ran into dozens of SAS kids. The lobby was full. And of course I got stuck in the doorway because my luggage was impossible for me to carry and it was hanging off from all ends. All the kids who came with parents were at the $200 a night hotel…but no, we stayed at the $60 a night place and split the room between five people, only $36 total! So cool. But our room was pretty shitty…our shower curtain wouldn’t even stay up so we all took showers without it. The Towne Hotel rocked because it was so incredibly social. There were parties around the pool both night with booze just lying out and music blasting and the hotel didn’t say anything until it got late enough that people were complaining. I played it sober both nights for the sake that I don’t want to make a drunken first impression on people and I was already feeling pretty euphoric as I was in the Bahamas!

Carrie and I didn’t have too much, or anything, to do the first day so on two different occasions we walked down to the port street just to glance at the Explorer, the ship we’re on. We were jumping up and down like little girls and taking pictures of our new home which was in the distance.

Oh and all the girls we stayed with at the hotel were awesome. Now that I’m on the ship I haven’t seen too much of them, but while in the hotel we were all together constantly, and stayed up talking for quite a while too.


I’ve hung out with Carrie, the girl I came with, and this other girl, Kim, the most. Kim is totally a free spirit and constantly smiling; she makes me laugh every time I look at her, kinda reminds me of Brenda Houy.


So yeah, the Bahamas were awesome. We swam in the Caribbean Sea on Monday, walking almost two miles in the heat to get to the Paradise Island beach. I had so many moments where I just had to cheer out loud that I was in the Bahamas and relaxing on a beach for hours on end. Of course we all got stung by baby jellyfish at one time or another. Oh, and I got a mad sunburn too.

Today Carrie, Kim, a bunch of other girls, and I were prancing around town, buying pop and snacks to store on the ship, and it started pouring out. I honestly can’t remember the last time I’ve seen rain like this. The streets were flooding instantly and huuggge puddles formed. You couldn’t walk anywhere without hitting one. So we took off our shoes and ran through the streets barefoot…so cool…and dirty…but still, so much fun.

Time out. I’m totally having trouble typing this up. My roommate, Kathryn, keeps talking to me, but overall…I think that’s a good thing. She seems cool and I definitely think I’ll be able to share this tiny room with her. Then again, it is my first night on the ship.

I have so many mixed feelings right now, but I could best describe everything as “overwhelming”. I mean, I was just thrown on this ship with 650 other college students and every two feet I take I’m introducing myself to someone else whose name I most likely won’t remember. And on top of that I’m in such shock that I am traveling around the world, or traveling around “the fucking world” as Carrie and I like to say since it sounds even cooler. It’s just so amazing that I am on this ship at last and I can’t get over how blessed I am right now. When the ship left this evening and everyone gathered out on the deck to wave goodbye to their parents and the shore and what not…I couldn’t help but cry a little out of pure happiness. I am doing a Semester at Sea. This is probably the coolest thing I will ever do in my life and I just can not get over how lucky I am and that it is here at last.


Sorry, I’m just really pumped up right now. I’m overtired and stressed out too as all my close friends are in rooms across the ship and I don’t know too many people on my floor yet. But all in time.


Oh yeah, and I want to thank Allison for the awesome letter she gave me to read on the ship. It meant a lot…and so did the one hundred dollars. You rock.

I want to write more because I have so much to go on and on about, but I should probably hit the sack.

I’m doing really well and can tell that this semester is going to rock.

Much love.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie! I'm so proud/jealous/excited for you. Live it up girl - you're traveling around "the fucking world." Swim in the ocean for me and remember every single thing about your journey cause I want to know every detail. Keep your life jacket on.
Love ya!
Kari

Anonymous said...

We're all living vicariously through you, girl.

Today is Sunday the 4th, so I know you are deep in Venezuela [or, as Spanish explorer Alonso de Ojeda called it, "Little Venice"]. When you get back, let us know about the people, places, provinces, plates-o-food, potamology, plants, palms, primates, paleontology, physiography, phyla, pageants, pubs, pueblos, and parrots. Oh, and say "Hi" for me to President Hugo Chávez if you see him.

Love you Annie, and thinking of you all the time.

Dad



p.s. Find sunscreen with mexoryl (not available is US) - its safe and more effective than stuff from here.

Anonymous said...

guess i haven't written a comment cause it has to be somewhat clean and generic. glad you like my newsey emails. i'll keep them up. i've been reading one of your shipmate's journals too. maybe you know her. http://www.livejournal.com/users/kristinatsea/ but i'll always prefer reading yours, annie. she does talk about a dangerous bus ride her group took where the driver asked if anyone was pregnant on the bus before they left. then he drove like a madman. sounds like your rapelling in the dark was pretty risky too. but at least you'll die with some great adventures under your belt.

we're back from the jewel and amy's back to listening to the da vinci code. she's nuts for it. she's further along then i am and i can't help but hear the story ahead of where i am in the book. later, annie!! love mimkoke thats mim kozak kelly

Anonymous said...

Sad news here, but you should know.

Sammy was hit by a car last night and we lost him instantly. The people who found him also found his little smiley-face collar with the single jingle bell and ID tag laying right nearby, so they called the phone number on the tag. Deb got the call, we ran out, and it had happened right in front of the house. I scooped him into my arms, and he was warm but lifeless.

Little Scarlett was here at the time. Many tears and stroking of his soft orange fur. No, she won't be traumatized, just more understanding of such things. On the ride home, she said to her mom "Why do they lie. Why do they tell kids that cats have nine lives?"

So sad. He was the best cat ever, and he came from you, really. Our hearts ache.

The vet is making a marker with Sam's pawprint in it, and we'll get his ashes to keep.

Love,
Dad


To a Cat

Mirrors are not more wrapt in silences
nor the arriving dawn more secretive;
you, in the moonlight, are that panther figure
which we can only spy at from a distance.
By the mysterious functioning of some
divine decree, we seek you out in vain;
remoter than the Ganges or the sunset,
yours is the solitude, yours is the secret.

Your back allows the tentative caress
my hand extends. And you have condescended,
since that forever, now oblivion,
to take love from a flattering human hand.
you live in other time, lord of your realm -
a world as closed and separate as dream.

-- Jorge Luis Borges

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

wonder who the previous post was from??